Concept and implementation of Life Education
The concept of life education in our school is derived from the theory of ‘I-Thou’ introduced by a German theologian, Martin Buber. Buber's main proposition is that ‘I as Subject’ make Genuine Dialogue with ‘Otherness as Subjects’. Students can enhance the ability of self-reflection by the authentic communication with ‘Otherness as Subjects’ and discover the genuineness, ethics, virtue and responsibility of human beings. ‘He has made clear to you, O man, what is good; and what is desired from you by the Lord; only doing what is right, and loving mercy, and walking without pride before your God.’（Micah 6:8）
“All real living is meeting.” - Martin Buber. Students will meet with ‘Otherness’ in their life and consider ‘Otherness’ as ‘Thou’ or ‘It’, which hinge upon the establishment of genuine dialogue. The relationship of inclusion and agape would be built by the consciousness of considering ‘Otherness’ as ‘Thou’ and being responsible for the ‘I-thou’ relationship.
Life Education aims at fostering students’ love and responsibility for ‘Otherness’ by ‘meeting’, so experiential learning is the main way to let students learn by doing. By direct experience, students would grow in their behavior and learning so as to build their self-esteem.
The areas to be taken into account by the committee include life education, sex education, moral and civic education.
1. Environmental education
- To organize green activities in school, like F.1 mountaineering course
- To provide students with the training about environmental protection and leadership abilities in order to implement activities among their peers, like Nature Buddy
2. Sex Education
- To organize sex education workshops to equip students with accurate sex knowledge and positive sex attitudes for an all-rounded personality
- To provide students with the training about sex education and the knowledge of gender equality in order to implement activities among their peers, like Gender Equality Ambassador
3. Moral Education
- To organize activities to develop the atmosphere of positive thinking and caring for others, like F.4 Service-Learning Program
4. Civic and National Education
- To organize activities to cultivate students’ sense of national identity, like Flag-raising marks National Day and activities in Constitution Day
Core members of Life Education Committee
- Mr. Choi Chun Kit (Chairman)
- Miss Chung Oi Lam
- Miss Wong Oi Fun
- Miss Yau Wing Yiu